I found an interesting study on Spanish youth and their preference for brands, online habits and belonging to “urban tribes”. The study “Observatorio de la Juventud”, conducted by Webtools, Social Network Tuenti and Bufete de Marketing, surveyed more than 900 Spanish youth, 16-21 years old, between January and March 2010. In Spain this age group represents 2,5 millions individuals, with 51% males and 49% females.
The study revealed the following facts:
- 88% connect daily to Internet for personal reasons
- 72% confirm that they have profile in more than one social network
- 98% have a own mobile
- 75% live still at home with their parents
- 30% have some kind of motor vehicle (car, motorcycle or both)
- 67% are studying and prefers spending their time off in recreational activities more than cultural ones.
- More than half of the youth have a credit card
- Practically everybody shows clear preferences for brands in different categories
- The interviewed group confesses consuming alcohol regularly, in addition to cigarettes and other alcoholic drinks such as beer and wine
This specific age group can be very attractive for brands since youth are either potential or future clients, love new trends and have strong influence online. The question is: how to connect with them?
Youth are experts in multitasking and are able to use different medias at once, be it TV, Messenger, Mobile, Internet…if they use different media, why we marketers would not? Considering that in Spain the large majority of the youth surfs daily in Internet and has a profile in more than one Social Network, more interactive approach and specific Social Media strategy might be the key factor. Also mobile marketing is an effective way to reach this age group, especially when the quantity of smartphones is increasing rapidly.
What comes to the social networks, the best platform to target this age group in Spain is Facebook and especially Tuenti with more than 6,2 million users. 74% of 16-21 year olds have profile in Tuenti and 60% connect the network daily for at least 83 minutes. I also recommend checking out the FORD Maskedummies 2.0 created by Spanish agency Genetsis. The platform targeted to young consumers won the Spanish IMAN Award of the Best Loyalization Program in 2009.